Thursday, May 17, 2007

Information Assymetry in Golf


Golf Professionals are no longer the only experts on golf equipment. It used to be that if somebody wanted to get started in golf they would seek out their local Professional and get some advice about equipment. This was because the Golf Pro was THE source of information on equipment.
The internet has changed all that. The information asymmetry has disappeared. Websites from the manufacturers have lots of information for the public.
I tend to be a bit of an equipment junkie. I am usually very up to date on the latest technology. While I used to be way ahead of my clients and members I am sometimes surprised now. I have members of my golf club come up to me and ask me what I think of the new fangled golf club from Macgregor, or Callaway or whoever. The cycles for new equipment releases have gotten so short now that there seems to be a new driver every month.
This is great for the consumer because they can get information form the internet on all of their favorite brands and can plan for what is coming next. They can try and figure out for themselves what they need in a driver.
But it also leads to problems. It’s like reading a medical story. You start self diagnosing yourself, “oh, that’s what I have!” This sometimes leads to getting the wrong equipment.
The Golf Professionals of today must stay on top of things, they no longer have all the answers.

No comments: